While in quarantine during this crazy time, I’ve enjoyed clearing out some of my freezer staples to make a new dish. Today I took out two different kinds of Premio chicken sausage (Sweet Italian & Hot and Spicy) and a block of frozen spinach and made this delicious meal!
2 packages Premio chicken sausage (any kind will do)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chicken stock or broth (I actually used Better Than Bouillon chicken base and water — so good!)
10 oz frozen spinach
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb pasta of choice
1 tbsp butter
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut up your chicken sausage into 1/2 inch slices.
- Heat a dutch oven or large skillet and add olive oil. Add in chicken sausage and brown fully for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in diced onions and saute for about 3 minutes. Then add in garlic for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a slow boil.
- Add in frozen spinach and mix into the pot.
- Add in crushed red pepper, to taste (if you don’t like it too spicy, don’t add).
- Add in pasta and cook in the boiling broth mixture for about 10-12 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Leave the lid off the pot so some of the liquid can evaporate to thicken the sauce. (Add a little more broth if the noodles are not all slightly covered with liquid). Stir frequently to ensure even cooking of the noodles.
- Once pasta is done, turn off the heat. Add in parmesan cheese and butter and mix well. Add a little salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve and sprinkle with some more parmesan cheese!