One of my favorite go-to takeout spots is a local Greek restaurant. The flavors and the freshness usually make for a guilt-free dinner as well! The dish I tend to try at every Greek restaurant is the chicken souvlaki. I love getting it in a pita topped with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and tzatziki sauce. Tonight, I made my own take on that, and let’s just say…my local takeout spot won’t be seeing much of me anymore!
For the chicken and marinade:
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp oregano OR Greek seasoning (either works!)
For the toppings:
1 yellow onion, cut into strips
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
chopped romaine lettuce
Tzatziki sauce (I bought Cedar’s brand)
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano/Greek seasoning to make the marinade. Add in the cubed chicken breasts and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- As the chicken is marinating, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the onions.
- Skewer the cubed chicken onto metal skewers. Heat your grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Place marinated chicken on heated grill pan. Allow it to cook thoroughly for a few minutes per side. Use tongs to turn skewers. Be sure to cook fully through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove skewers to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, add onions to the grill pan and grill them for a few minutes (about 3 to get a little browning on the onions). Remove them with tongs.
- To assemble the pitas, place a layer of romaine lettuce, chicken, tomato/cucumber salad, onions, and tzatziki sauce. Wrap it up and enjoy!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SP: 11 points per pita with filling. Points were calculated using the Recipe Builder on the WW app.
Print a copy of this recipe for your recipe binder!